The Head of Legal is responsible for all members of the legal team and to provide legal leadership across the business. The ideal candidate will do this by providing proactive, in-depth, legal, business-focused advice to the business, as well as implementing initiatives and processes in order to set standards and reinforce a culture of integrity, quality, ethical behaviour and responsibility across the business.
Reporting directly to the Group’s Finance Director, the Head of Legal will be tasked with analysing and identifying the legal risks and implications of all the business’s transactions.
The key duties and responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Implement key legal processes that relate to legal drafting, negotiations, and commercial settlement agreements.
- Contribute to the business’s strategy and decision-making processes alongside other departmental leaders.
- Provide strategical, commercial and operational legal advice on corporate compliance globally, and any other arising issues
- Identify and mitigate legal risks.
- Advise on the legal implications of company policies and procedures.
- Ensure that contracts and agreements are in line with regulatory requirements
- Define and set up of Corporate Structures and Joint Venture Agreements
- Oversee the delivery of training to management and personnel on legal issues affecting individual departmental activities and transactions.
- Coordinate periodic reviews and risk assessment of existing client relationships and business partnerships
- Monitor and ensure that the company is compliant with the requirements and deadlines imposed by the Registry of Companies and other relevant government agencies and institutions
- Ensure ongoing compliance on legal matters like GDPR, with monthly status updates, showing status of action items, planned action, and identified risk.
- Ensure that the Group has robust AML procedures in place and that such procedures are communicated across the Group.
- Ensure that the Group is in line with all IP requirements arising from contracts and agreements with third parties.
Core competencies, knowledge, and experience
- Degree in Maltese Law from an accredited Law school.
- 7+ years working experience as Head of Legal or related role in a legal corporate environment.
- Senior Management experience and post-qualified experience will be highly preferred.
- Experience leading negotiations on complex and high value contracts and agreements.
- Proven experience in relationship management and a demonstrated ability to lead a legal team.
- Ability to draft and manage complex patents, trademarks, and regulatory documentation, handling such matter comfortably within a fast-paced business environment.
- In-depth understanding of the court’s legal procedures and government regulations
- Ability to make effective decisions under critical conditions
- A profound understanding of the English language and attention to detail
- Critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills