The role holder is responsible for performing day-to-day accounting activities, maintaining accounting records and performing other related duties in the Finance Department.
The key duties and responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Post and verify details of business transactions, such as funds received and disbursed and other transactions.
- Maintain general ledgers including the preparation of accounts analyses and journal entries.
- Reconcile bank accounts, statements, and records, and take corrective action when necessary.
- Compute and record charges of refunds, cost of lost items, service charges, rentals, and similar items.
- Issue invoices, cheques, account statements, reports, and other records.
- Liaise with auditors in the preparation of auditing schedules.
- Issue debtors’ and creditors’ lists and statements.
- Ensure that the Company’s financial regulations are adhered to.
- Perform standard office procedures including processing mail, e-mails, answering customer phone calls, ordering supplies, printing, scanning, and filing.
- File all documents, papers, letters and records for quick and easy access and retrieval; to maintain and update files; to ensure that all outgoing documents are registered, easily traced and tagged.
- Keep oneself updated on developments in Accounting.
Core competencies, knowledge, and experience
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role
- Knowledge of computer applications and accounting software
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and technical or legal terminology
- Organised and methodical in all work performed
- Must have the ability to perform large amounts of numerical detail work with speed and accuracy.