The In-Season Trader plays a critical role within Supply chain. The primary responsibility is to optimize sales, profitability, and inventory levels throughout the season by making real-time trading decisions. The In-Season Trader monitors sales performance, analyses market trends, and collaborates with cross-functional teams to drive sales and maximize the commercial success of the product assortment.
The key duties and responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Sales and Inventory Analysis: Monitor daily and weekly sales performance, inventory levels, and sell-through rates across product categories, channels, and locations. Analyse sales data, market trends, and customer insights to identify opportunities and risks.
- Trading Strategy: Develop and execute an in-season trading strategy aligned with the overall Banner & business objectives. Collaborate with the buying, planning & Operation teams to adjust inventory levels and promotional activities based on market dynamics.
- Inventory Management: Work closely with the buying and planning teams to ensure optimal inventory levels across stores and e-commerce channels. Make recommendations for replenishment, transfers, and markdowns to optimize stock levels and minimize stockouts or excess inventory.
- Assortment Optimization: Collaborate with the buying and planning teams to analyse the performance of individual products and categories. Recommend assortment adjustments, product substitutions, or exit strategies to optimize sales and meet customer demand.
- Manage Inventory Intake: Work closely with Supply chain administration, to monitor & manage inventory intake from Suppliers.
- Market and Competitor Analysis: Stay informed about market trends, competitor activities, and customer preferences. Conduct regular competitor analysis to identify opportunities and react to market changes effectively.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Collaborate with various teams, including buying, planning, marketing, logistics & retail operations to align trading strategies with overall business goals. Provide insights and recommendations based on real-time market intelligence to drive cross-functional decision-making.
- Seasonal and Weekly Reporting: Prepare and present regular reports on sales performance, inventory metrics, and promotional effectiveness. Provide actionable insights and recommendations to senior management and cross-functional teams.
- Continuous Improvement: Stay updated with industry best practices, new technologies, and trading methodologies. Continuously identify opportunities to improve trading processes, tools, and systems for more efficient and effective trading operations.
- Total Sales & Revenue Growth.
- Sell through Rate.
- Markdown %
- Stock Turnover.
- Excess & Terminal Stock.
Core competencies, knowledge, and experience:
- Degree/Diploma in business, marketing, fashion merchandising, or a related field is a plus.
- 2 years of experience in fashion retail trading, planning, or a similar role within the fashion industry.
- Strong knowledge of fashion trends & customer behaviour.
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills, with the ability to interpret data and trends.
- Proficiency in planning and inventory management systems. Knowledge of pricing tools and analytics software is a plus.
- Strong business acumen, understanding of retail operations, and inventory management.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate and build relationships with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with Retail Planning, product lifecycle, and fashion retail processes is a plus.