There is no clear-cut route to preventing disease, particularly as there is no hard and fast rule as to how to go about it. Initiatives to prevent a disease cannot be done in isolation and are effective when repeated consistently. Although, engaging in preventative measures is no guarantee for contracting disease, it is surely much better than not doing anything about it.
As the representatives of major sports brands, such as NIKE, Lotto, Under Armour, GO Sport, Asics, and New Balance, Health and Wellness is in Hudson’s DNA. We believe in promoting a healthy lifestyle by providing the market with the right equipment and clothing.
Physical activity is a fundamental element in disease prevention. We therefore seek to encourage the society within which we operate to engage in physical activities, be it individually or as part of a team. It is for this reason, that we sought to launch our ‘Prevention is better than cure’ campaign.
In light of Pink October, for the month of October, we have put together a number of ways to help prevent cancer, particularly breast cancer.
#1 Eat Clean
- Although making healthy choices cannot guarantee cancer prevention, it surely helps reduce your risk.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Base your diet on fruits, vegetables and other foods from plant sources.
- Avoid obesity. Eat lighter and leaner by choosing fewer high-calorie foods, such as refined sugars and fat from animal sources.
- If you choose to drink alcohol, do so only in moderation.
- Limit processed foods. Avoid reheating food: Try your best to eat food as soon as you cook it or raw as nature intended it to be.
#2 Be Active
- Physical activity counts, too. In addition to helping you control your weight, physical activity on its own might lower the risk of breast cancer and colon cancer.
- If you haven’t worked out in a while, start slowly and increase gradually. Try to choose physical activity that you enjoy so it does not become a chore but something that helps break the week. There are numerous classes that can help you get started and are an excellent way to meet new people.
- Of course, just as wearing a new dress makes going to the party so much more enjoyable,treat yourself to some new work out clothes.
#3 Positive Thinking
Studies show that people who experience stress are more likely to contract disease. Having a positive mind not only prevents your body from experiencing the effects of stress, but also helps to bring more pleasant things your way. Positive, successful people like to equate themselves with equally positive individuals. Ultimately, you may not choose how your surrounding treats you, but you can choose how to respond to it. A positive mind, gives you the self-esteem to move away from negative situations and relationships.
#4 Check yourself
Spotting cancer at an early stage can save lives. Learn how to check yourself and the moment you feel something is abnormal, have the courage to speak up and visit your doctor. For more information, visit: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-symptoms/how-do-i-check-for-cancer
Pink October Gifts from Hudson’s stores
In light of Pink October, for the month of October, Hudson has put together a number of ways to help prevent cancer and these will be shared in store as well as on social media. In collaboration with popular Maltese personality, Valentina Rossi, Hudson will also be offering pink items as gifts, from its various stores all throughout October 2018. Follow the Hudson Malta Instagram for more info.
Exercise Classes at GO Sport, Qormi
To continue encouraging physical activity, Hudson will be organising various classes by popular Maltese trainers Leanne Bartolo, Kristen Borg, Ritianne Zahra, Denise Micallef. Click here to participate.
Sources: The Mayo Clinic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/cancer-prevention/art-20044816 https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/cancer-prevention/art-20044816